It is generally believed that some type of facility was providing books when the campus was founded in 1906. From 1930-1955, the Bookstore and the Coop were located on the East Quad in the Agriculture Extension Building. In 1955 the Bookstore moved to the East Wing (first stage) of the Memorial Union. (Please note that both wings changed significantly in the remodel of 1991.)
The book section later moved originally to Room 1 Lower Freeborn and then to the space now occupied by KDVS. The former barbershop location was the receiving area and the General Merchandise section was also located in Lower Freeborn. The candy, gift and clothing sections were established in North Hall in 1962. In 1964 the supplies department was moved to the current location of the Coffee House (the West Wing).
The Main Bookstore was completed in 1966. Ownership of the Bookstore shifted from ASUCD to the University in 1966-1967. In 1984 the Computer Shop (now the TechHUB) was established, located in the east area of the Main Store.
The Corral began to take shape in the East Wing in 1966 (called The Nest and The Hutch). In 1973 the Corral was expanded, received its new name, and additional services -- non-course related material -- were moved into this area. The Corral moved to a temporary location in the Games Area of Lower Freeborn in 1991. In fall of 1992 it was the first store opened in the East Wing (Commercial Activity Space).
In 1991 Phase III (the Main Bookstore remodel) began, vacating the main store area and relocating in the East Wing and trailers. The lower level of the new Bookstore opened in the fall of 1991, with the main level opening in March of 1992. The front of the store was remodeled in 2000. In 2007, the Computer Shop was remodeled and renamed the TechHUB. In the spring of 2011, the Bookstore and TechHUB will be moved into temporary location(s) while both are expanded and remodeled with a tentative opening in fall of 2013.
A small T-Mobile Cellular Store opened in the winter of 2010 in the former lock shop and ASUCD offices across from the Main Store.
Planning for the new Main Bookstore and TechHUB expansion, including incorporating the Cellular Store into the TechHUB, is underway. Completion is expected by fall of 2013.
Planning is also underway for the new West Village Store to service Los Rios students and the residents and concerns in the new western extension of the campus. Completion is expected in the fall of 2011.
Planning is also underway to open a Downtown Store in Davis in the spring of 2011. It is intended to provide clothing, gifts, school and office supplies, and other convenience products.
In 1971 a law bookstore was opened in a closet at King Hall. In April of 1990 the new Silo Store opened, replacing the King Hall facility and providing a convenience outlet in the remodeled Silo Complex. It is anticipated the Silo Store will be expanded to include grocery items after the completion of the expansion project for the Memorial Union.
The Health Science Store was located at the Silo in 1973. In October 1977, it was relocated to the Health Science complex and received a minor face-lift in 1993. It had a major remodel that was completed in the winter of 2003. In 2007, with the departure of the first- and second-year medical students, the store was renamed the VetMed Store.
In 1974 a small medical store opened at UCDMC in the student lounge. A more permanent location was found in the old Welfare Building and later, in the 1970s, the store moved to the Professional Building. This very small basement facility was relocated in 1992 to a 3,000-square-foot facility within the Steiner Building, utilizing the old fixtures from the Main Bookstore facility.
The permanent location of the UC Davis Bookstore, Sacramento opened in April 1996 in the Showcase Homes Building (6,500 square feet). This building site previously housed a dairy, a furniture store and the Family Nurse Practitioner program. This expansion provided the Bookstore with one of the largest health science stores in the country. It is anticipated that the store will be relocated to the new Nursing Educational Building once completed.
In February 1990, the Bookstore Annex, located in South Davis, was completed for both administrative and warehouse space. The warehouse space was expanded in 1992 with the rental of half of the ASUCD warehouse space. A storage facility in the agricultural area was loaned to ASUCD by the Bookstore to complement this arrangement. Additional expansion plans occurred in the spring of 2000, as the Bookstore assumed occupancy of space previously loaned to Relations with Schools. Eventually the warehouse facility may be relocated to the main campus.
In September 1998, the Special Events Area (MU room 164) was annexed by the Bookstore to provide space for overflow Book Buyback and refunds, special event activities and programs. The area was shifted to the other side of the hallway in summer of 2004.
In April of 2004, the ARC Pro Shop opened in the new Activities and Recreation Facility (ARC) on campus. This facility serves as a union, student recreation center, and conference facility. The ARC Pro Shop was relocated in December 2009 across the hall to a larger facility, more than doubling its original size.
In August of 2009, the Bookstore assumed operations of the Aggie Pride Outlet in the Stadium and adjunct locations attached to ICA events and activities.